PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR PRE-REGISTRATION
1. Who are we?
1.1. AP as controller
With this statement (hereinafter the “Statement”) we wish to inform you about the reason and the manner your personal data are collected and processed by Artesis Plantijn Hogeschool Antwerpen, a legal entity under Belgian law with registered office in Lange Nieuwstraat 101, 2000 Antwerp, and with enterprise number 535 880 359 (hereinafter named “We” or“AP”).
1.2. Data protection officer
We also have appointed an officer for the data protection. This is an expert regarding the protection of the personal data which will offer an extra guarantee for the correct processing of your personal data by us.
You can contact the data protection officer through the channels mentioned under point 10 of this Statement.
2. Which of your data do we collect?
By “personal data” we mean all information referring to a certain living natural person.
Depending on the objective of the processing, we process various types of personal data.
3. Why do we need your personal data?
3.1. Administration of your application
As educational institution we do process personal data in the context of the trainings and programmes we are offering. The administration which is conducted within the framework of the application/registration includes various components and includes among other things:
- the registration of students;
- the provision of information flows in order to effectively communicate with you by post, e-mail and phone in the context of the registration;
- the information about your selection (if applicable);
In the context of the administration of the application/registration we collect and process the following types of data:
- identification data (name, address, phone number, personal e-mail address…);
- personal characteristics (age, sex, date- and place of birth, nationality,…);
- education and schooling (home institution, contact at the home institution, previous and current studies, examination results, language level … )
Finally, the personal data we receive is further processed for statistical purposes, in particular to analyse our policy and education.
3.2. Cookies on our website
The AP-websites are using cookies. Cookies are small files which are stored on a user’s computer and on similar technologies. More information is to be found in our Cookie Statement in the related websites.
4. Do we ask your permission for processing?
Our processing of your personal data which we carry out for the purposes mentioned under point 3 of this Statement, have the following basis:
• the use of your personal data is necessary in order to take the steps to be able to come to an enrolment agreement with you as a student.
• we have your explicit and free consent to use your personal data for a specific purpose.
If we need your consent we will provide a specific consent form and this prior to the processing.
• we have the legal obligation to process certain data.
5. With whom do we share your personal data?
Your personal data will not be passed on to other people, except for the following persons:
• only our employees who really need access for the exercise of their tasks, will have access to your data. These persons are acting under our supervision and are our responsibility.
• in addition, we also appeal to specialised external suppliers who perform certain processing for us, such as IT-services, and who, in that context, must take appropriate measures for the protection of your personal data.
• only when legally obliged, we will provide police- and investigation services and the courts with your personal data.
6. Where will your data be saved and processed?
Your data will not be transported outside the EU and in any case, we will see to it that the legal minimum requirements and safety rules will always be complied with.
If we expect that your data will be stored and processed outside the EU, we will explicitly mention this and see to it that the same level of protection is applied as in the EU.
7. How long do we save your personal data?
We will keep your data only as long as necessary in view of the purposes for which the data are used, mentioned under point 3 of this Statement.
Since the necessity to store data can vary as per type of data and as per purpose of the processing, the actual terms for saving the data can considerably vary.
We can hereby communicate that we take, among other things, the following criteria into consideration when determining the storage periods:
• how long are personal data necessary to render the required services?
• did we get permission for a longer storage period?
• do we have a legal, contractual or similar obligation to store data?
As soon as your data are no longer necessary we will delete these permanently.
Your personal data will indeed be stored and used if this is needed to comply with our legal obligations, or to settle disputes.
8. How do we protect your personal data?
Your personal data are considered as strictly confidential. We will take the appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the received and collected personal data from annulment, loss, unintended modification, damage or illegal access or any other illicit processing of personal data.
9. What are your rights and how can you exercise these rights?
9.1. Your rights
9.1.1. Right of access to your personal data
You have always right of access and right of inspection of your personal data that are processed by us. In this context we will provide you with a free copy of these personal data at your request.
9.1.2. Right to correct your personal data
You are always entitled to have wrong, incomplete, improper or obsolete personal data removed or rectified.
9.1.3. Right to withdraw your consent
When the processing is based on your consent, you also have the right to withdraw this consent at any moment.
9.1.4. Right to object to certain processing and objection to direct marketing
When your personal data are processed on the ground of a legitimate interest or a public interest, then you are entitled to lodge a complaint against the processing of your personal data. If you receive direct marketing messages from us, you have an absolute right to oppose it and no longer receive such communications from us.
9.1.5. Right to delete your personal data
You have the right to obtain, without reasonable delay, the deletion of your personal data in the following cases:
- when your data are no longer required for the purposes for which they were collected or processed; or
- when you withdraw your consent and when there is no other legal ground for the processing; or
- when you object against the processing and when there are no prevailing imperative justified grounds for the processing; or
- when your data are unlawfully being processed; or
- when your data must be deleted due to a legal obligation.
9.1.6. Right to transfer your personal data
As far as the processing of your personal data is concerned based on your consent, because this is necessary for the implementation of the agreement with you, you can ask us, in a structured, current and digital form – to send these data to you, so that you can store these for personal (re)use or send these personal data directly to another data controller, in so far this is technically possible for us.
9.1.7. Right not to be subjected to automated decision making
We will not subject you to an automated individual decision making, inclusive of profiling.
9.2. How to exercise?
In order to exercise the above rights, you can send us a written request as follows:
- per email: email@example.com;
- in writing to the following address: Lange Nieuwstraat 101, 2000 Antwerp, to the attention of the Data Protection Officer.
10. How can you submit questions or how can you lodge complaints?
If you have a question or a complaint about our processing of personal data, you can contact us via the following channels:
- per e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- by letter to the following postal address: Lange Nieuwstraat 101, 2000 Antwerp, attention: the Data Protection Officer.
If you are not satisfied with our answer, if you have observations about the exercise of your rights or if you think that our processing of your personal data is not in line with the legislation, then you are entitled to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority. For all information: https://www.gegevensbeschermingsautoriteit.be/.
11. Adaptations of this statement
We can adapt or complete this Statement if we consider it to be necessary.
If important changes are made to this Statement we will inform you thereof via the normal information channels.